Thursday, April 5, 2012

Lessons learnt from cycling... and pizza

Over the last few years I feel that I've learnt a number of important lessons from cycling, which may or may not seem applicable to the rest of life.  In no particular order:
  • When you do something long enough you're bound to be a bit of hard a$$
  • Apparently right forearms are expendable when cycling long distances.  I didn't need mine nearly as much as I thought after I was hit by a car in Glasgow
  • Being predictable is a good thing, or at least you're less likely to get hit or honked at (I'm thinking of clear signalling and not weaving in and out of the road - e.g. because of parked cars)
  • Size does matter, at least when it comes to gear sizes... the bigger they are (in the back) and smaller they are (in the front), the more your knees and quads will thank you later, but in general a wide range is good enough
  • It doesn't get any easier just because you're more "fit," the harder you're able to push the more some things will push back (I'm thinking of you air resistance)
  • Wear lights, always wear lights, ye I say unto you, lights shall show you the way, and hopefully others will then see you (esp. if you wear more than one)
  • Keep the correct amount of pressure in your tyres, it's both easier and you'll get less flats
  • Rain can be fun to cycle in for shorter distances, whole days of it aren't near as much fun
  • It's amazing where a peanut butter and nutella sandwich can take you
  • There's always a curve at the bottom of a big hill just before the next climb
  • It's a lot easier to ride behind someone than in front of them (again that air resistance thing)
  • Bike locks, while an extra burden to carry, are an unfortunate necessity
  • Getting lost or going down the wrong road isn't always a bad thing, you'll sometimes discover things you would have otherwise missed
I find myself ruminating about cycling more lately because I know my daily commute will change in the coming weeks (when I move to the area of Wood Green) and then again when I move back to the States.  I don't have a bike in Vermont, so I'll need to get one while I'm there over some of the summer months.

On a side note, I made some really yummy pizza tonight, from scratch.  Peppers and onions as topping, but it has a really good crust and is different than "normal" pizza because the sauce goes on top (also homemade) of the cheese.



Oh it was sooooo good.  Lots of crushed red pepper in the sauce as well giving it a bit of kick!  Ate almost a one of them while watching the red sox opener on mlb.com's gameday.

No comments:

Post a Comment