Monday, October 26, 2009

CPT/Bradford


Since the beginning of October the LMC has been hosting the Christian Peacemaker Teams training for reservist CPTers.  While the LMC has not been providing food or making meals for the trainers/trainees, it has provided lodging for the trainers and space for the trainings which have been occurring virtually 6 days a week from 8 in the morning until 9 or later on most nights.  A pretty intense training to say the least.  The group (most of which has come from various parts of Europe, but there is one Californian in it - except for the trainers who are all from the states as well) has gelled nicely and seems to be getting along very well into their last week of training.  While I don't know everything that they have been dealing with I do sense the intensity of the course and the dedication of the CPTers to their work.  The majority of their training involves issues that are not taken lightly.  

While CPT has been here I got the chance to go up to Bradford for the weekend (Bradford is north of London by about 3 1/2 to 4 hours by car, it is West of Leeds) to visit the Radical Journey unit that is stationed there.  Tim Foley (Mennonite Mission Network Europe/some of Asia Director) invited me since he was going to be in town as well and told me he'd pay my way up and back.  Enough said!  

While there I took the chance to relax in a smaller town (250,000ish) for my first real trip outside of London.  I rode the bus up (took around 4 1/2 - 5 hours) so I could see some of the countryside and just reflect a little.  I found myself feeling that I was in a very small town, which was surprising since I had only been in London for around a little over a month.  While it was nice to get away for the weekend, I was ready to be back to London, which was starting to feel like home.  Pictures are from the Church & home of the minister who gave me a spare room while I was there.  The church was amazingly large on the inside, and I ended up getting introduced right in the bulletin as Tim had given them a heads up that I was coming (and he was preaching as well).  I also got to have a wonderful curry lunch that was made as a welcoming for the Radical Journey unit.        


Side of the church, you'd never know from the outside how freaking big it was...

 
House of the minister

 
 Front of the church

 
Front of the church looking up


Minister's house



Their chickens!!! Very friendly, swarmed all around me and wanted to follow me inside.






Friendly cat who had just lost her other kitty friend in the previous week, so she was a little sad, but was very receptive to me and came up on my lap for at least a half an hour while I pet and held her.

 
 View in front of the Bradford unit's house

 

 Another view in front of their house

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good time away, Sam! I'm glad that you got a break for that. What do you think the chickens wanted?! And the cat-mom knew a good heart when she saw you. Feline bonding time is always great.

    ReplyDelete